Toiletries and First Aid Gear
Written by Jared
October 03, 2011
Continuing our series of gear list articles for our upcoming road trip to South America, I give you our toiletries bin and first aid kit. Exciting stuff. As our packing strategy has evolved over the past few months, this box has become a place for everything that doesn't fit anywhere else. All of this gear is communal, we each keep our personal toiletries in separate bags. At least that's the plan for now...we'll see how it goes.
Our first aid kit was purchased at REI and expanded with over-the-counter drugs and lots of extra necessities we've accumulated over the years.
- Water Purifier
- SteriPEN, uses magical UV light to purify water without adding any nasty flavors.
- Iodine Tablets
- In case the SteriPEN dies or we need to purify a ton of water at once.
- Kobus' bad ass toiletries bag - Kinda creeps me out.
- Sunscreen - SPF 15 and 30.
- Eez-Thru Flossers
- Communal shampoo - To refill smaller bottles that each of us have.
- Spare TP - You never know.
- Insect Repellent
- 6 2oz bottles of 100% DEET that we'll dilute as needed.
- Mosquito coils - Cheap extra protection when we're camping and there's no wind.
- Benadryl Anti-Itch Cream - For when the DEET and coils fail.
- Laundry bags - One for Jess & Kobus, one for me.
- For the clothes line, or one of the other 8 million other things we may need it for.
- Travel alarm clock
- Advil and Tylenol PM - Our over-the-counter drugs of choice.
- Cipro - By prescription, broad spectrum antibiotics.
- First aid kit
First Aid Kit
- Band-aids - All shapes and sizes.
- Trauma Pads, rolled gauze and other wound dressings
- Latex-free gloves
- Cotton swabs
- Antiseptic wipes
- ACE Bandage wrap
- Moleskin for blisters
- Medical Tape
- Emergency blanket
- Safety pins
- Nail clippers
- Cloth/bandage scissors
- Benadryl anti-itch cream
- Neosporin antiseptic cream
- A variety of over-the-counter drugs - cold/flu, decongestants, anti-diarrhea with packages so we can hopefully find replacements using the medical names
- First aid manual
Disclaimer: Some of the links above utilize Amazon's affiliate
program, meaning if you purchase the item from Amazon we receive a small
commission. We only link to products that we own and would recommend to
others. See our full Web Site Terms and Conditions of Use for more information.